By Jerry Del Priore
Are you ready for some football? With the regular football season around the corner, what better way is there to prepare to watch your favorite team in action than whipping up your favorite dishes to enjoy with your pigskin pals?
Let Athens Foods help you out with these quick and easy recipes for the big games ahead this season.
Moreover, Athens Foods products tend to be on the healthier side, with Athens Fillo® Dough as the healthy alternative to other types of prepared dough, containing fewer calories and no saturated fat.
Note: (Click the above link to purchase Athens Foods products. By making a purchase, I may earn a commission).
Also, Athens® Mini Fillo Shells are fully baked with crispy layers of phyllo that are ready to fill and are ideal for countless tasty recipes.
Buffalo Wing Phyllo Bites
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups hot sauce
- 2 packages (15 count, each) Athens® Mini Fillo Shells
- 4 tablespoons blue cheese dressing (can sun for low-fat)
- 4 tablespoons green onions, sliced or jalapeno slices, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine shredded chicken with hot sauce.
- Place one tablespoon of chicken in each fillo shell. Drizzle each shell with blue cheese dressing and garnish as desired. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 shell (14 g), Amount per serving: Calories 20, Calories from Fat – 5, Total Fat – 1g, Saturated fat – 0g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 5mg, Sodium – 160 mg, Dietary Fiber – 0g, Sugars – 0g, Protein – 2g.
Mac & Cheese Phyllo Footballs
Are you searching for fun football party appetizers that kids and adults alike for which they’ll clamor? Well, nibble on these delicious Mac and Cheese Phyllo Footballs, and score a touchdown.
- 12 sheets Athens Fillo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 1 box (12 ounce) frozen macaroni & cheese, defrosted
- 1/3 cup bacon pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Cooking Spray
- 1/4 cup canola oil, for brushing
- 4 slices American cheese
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
- In a medium bowl thoroughly combine the macaroni and cheese, bacon pieces, Sriracha and sour cream.
- Open the fillo and cover the sheets with plastic wrap, then a damp towel to prevent drying out.
- Place one sheet of fillo on cutting surface and coat lightly with cooking spray. Lay another sheet of fillo on top.
- Cut the dough into thirds lengthwise creating 3 strips each 3” x 14”.
- Place one tablespoon of filling about 1” from corner of each strip. Fold one corner of fillo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself.
- Coat the triangles lightly with spray to produce a golden-brown color when baked.
- Place triangles seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet at least 1” apart. Repeat until the filling is used up. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While footballs are baking, cut thin strips of American cheese (1 long and 4 short) to represent the laces. Place the laces on the footballs as soon as they come out of the oven so that they will slightly melt. Serve warm.
Amount per serving: Calories 90, Calories from Fat – 50, Total Fat – 6g, Saturated fat – 2g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 10mg, Sodium – 180 mg, Dietary Fiber – 3g, Sugars – 1g, Protein – 3g.
Guava and Cheese Phyllo Pastelitos
- 18 sheets Athens® Fillo Dough (9″ x 14″), thawed
- 7 ounces guava paste
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Canola oil cooking spray
- Thaw one roll of fillo, following thawing instructions on package. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Slice guava paste into 28 pieces approximately 1” square and ¼” high. Set aside.
- Unroll and cover fillo sheets with plastic wrap, then a slightly damp towel to prevent drying out.
- Place one sheet of fillo on work surface and lightly spray with cooking spray. Layer and repeat with two more sheets. Do not spray the top layer.
- Cut the layered fillo into four strips 3 ½” x 9”. Spoon ½ tablespoon cream cheese approximately ½” from the short edge of strip.
- Place one piece of guava paste on top. Fold short edge of fillo just over filling. Fold one corner of fillo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle unto itself to end of strip.
- Place triangles at least 1″ apart seam side down on ungreased baking sheet. Repeat process 4 more times to make 24 triangles. Reroll unused fillo sheets and follow storing instructions on package.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water to make an egg wash. Lightly brush outside of triangles with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Guava paste can be found in the Latin section of most grocery stores.
Serving size: 1 piece (25g), Amount per serving: Calories 70, Calories from Fat – 25, Total Fat – 3g, Saturated fat – 1.5g, Trans Fat – 0g, Cholesterol – 15mg, Sodium – 50 mg, Dietary Fiber – 0g, Total Carbohydrate – 11g Sugars – 6g, Protein – 1g, Vitamin A – 2%, Vitamin C – 0%, Calcium 2%, Iron 0%